Introduction to the Scottish AI Playbook
The Scottish AI Playbook is a “one stop shop” for anyone in Scotland embarking on a journey involving AI whether it’s learning, using, developing, deploying or just exploring. The Scottish AI Playbook is an open, practical guide to how we do AI in Scotland. It is a shared and living asset and embodies Scotland’s AI Strategy ethos of openness, transparency and collaboration.
During an extensive engagement process with potential users, a clear emphasis on the need for tangible and practical content emerged. It became clear that there is a vast array of resources available but it is difficult to navigate these resources due to a lack of clear signposting and roadmapping. With this in mind the first iteration of the Scottish AI Playbook has been released in a Wiki format, hosting accessible and dynamic content, allowing all users to participate and contribute the existing resources that they find relevant and useful.
Scotland's AI Strategy Commitment to the Playbook
About Scotland’s AI Strategy launched on 22 March 2021 with the vision for Scotland to become a world leader in the development and use of trustworthy, ethical and inclusive AI. By achieving this vision, AI will be enabled to contribute to making Scotland fairer, greener, more prosperous and outward looking.
The Strategy committed to the development of the Scottish AI Playbook, an open and practical guide to how we do AI in Scotland. It introduces our vision, our principles and the practices we will adopt to realise our vision. It will become a shared and living asset embodying Scotland’s AI Strategy ethos of openness, transparency and collaboration.
Through the Scottish AI Alliance, everyone will have opportunities to contribute, develop their AI skills and receive the support they need.
The development of the Scottish AI Playbook has been developed on the basis of several phases. The launch of the Scottish AI Playbook Wiki represents the completion of Phase 0 and the beginning of Phase 1.
Phase 0 (May 21 - March 22)
- Kick off of the Scottish AI Playbook with a focus on stakeholder engagement.
- We started with Persona Workshops to identify user groups. Six key groups were established: researchers, educators, public sector, third sector, entrepreneurs/start ups and business consumers.
- From this we carried out a period of User Requirements Mapping in order to ascertain the type of Playbook that would be of most value to our key user groups. We discovered that our users had many different needs and wanted to draw on many different resources.
- From this the idea of a beta version of the Playbook as an open and collaborative wiki was established.
Phase 1 (April - July 22)
- This phase sees the development of the full Scottish AI Playbook site.
- We continue to encourage users to submit resources to the launch site in order to populate the collaborative platform ahead of its launch.
- Alongside of this, the Scottish AI Alliance has developed a plan for stakeholder and user engagement in order to give more information and details about the Scottish AI Playbook ahead of its full launch.
- This phase is scheduled to be completed by the end of July 2022.
Phase 2 (July - December 22)
- This phase will see the launch of the collaborative Scottish AI Playbook site.
- The Scottish AI Alliance will continue its programme of stakeholder and user engagement to ensure that Scottish AI Playbook users are informed and engaged on how to use the Scottish AI Playbook.
- This phase will see the collaborative building, development and growth of the Scottish AI Playbook.
Phase 3 (January - June 23)
- During phase 3, the Scottish AI Alliance will review the contributions to the Scottish AI Playbook and carry out a gap analysis.
- From this gap analysis, new necessary assets will be developed.
- We will continue our programme of stakeholder and user engagement.
- We will also look to update the Scottish AI Playbook site as required and carry out necessary maintenance.
Phase 4 (July 2023 onwards)
- Maintenance and updates of the Scottish AI Playbook site will continue.
- During this phase, we will also look to how the Scottish AI Playbook can further development.
- Our programme of stakeholder and user engagement will continue, this time with a view to the development and evolution of the Scottish AI Playbook. This will include gathering input and responses to the new asset development of phase 3.